Although Massachusetts has moved to Phase 4, Step 2 of the state’s COVID-19 reopening plan, many cities and towns are cancelling their annual 4th of July firework celebrations for this summer.
Due to outdoor gathering limits remaining in place until August, these holiday celebrations wouldn’t be able to take place at their full capacity. So far, the remaining cities have cancelled their firework displays for 4th of July weekend: Lynn, Swampscott, Nahant, Worcester, Salem, Attleboro, Wilmington, and Plymouth.
“While it is disappointing to have to cancel the annual fireworks display for a second consecutive year, the decision to cancel this year’s show was made in order to continue to prioritize the health and safety of our residents,” said Mayor of Lynn, Thomas McGee, in a press release.
“We look forward to a hopeful return in 2022 once conditions improve as we celebrate our Country and Community for our 40th Anniversary. We wish our community members well during these times and appreciate all of the work our dedicated Committee continues to put forward to plan one of Wilmington’s most cherished weeks,” read the official Facebook page for the Wilmington Fourth of July Committee.
The City of Salem is hoping to postpone instead of cancel altogether. Salem Mayor, Kim Driscoll, said that a special celebratory fireworks display is now tentatively planned for Heritage Days in August when all state business restrictions are scheduled to expire.
The state of Massachusetts reopened some outdoor industries starting today, Monday, May 10th. Effective May 29th, the outdoor gathering limit will increase to 250 people. All capacity restrictions are set to expire on August 1st for the state, with the City of Boston following suit three weeks later on August 22nd. This page will be updated as more communities announce the cancellation of their annual 4th of July celebrations.