Oh, for the love of slow-cooking, what have you done This Is Us?
SPOILER ALERT: We’ve known that the Pearson family home was destroyed by a fire. And while we don’t DEFINITELY know how Jack dies, last night’s episode pointed to the fire.
But the worst part? It was started by a faulty Crock-Pot, given to the newly-married Pearsons by the downsizing, elderly couple next door.
Also complicit? A red dish towel, given to Rebecca by Jack one Christmas. (In between the dishtowels was a diamond tennis bracelet, because Jack Pearson, while doomed, is the Golden God of Husbands.)
Anyway, I DEFINITELY looked at my Crock-Pot sideways this morning.
And I’m not the only one:
People are tossing the slow cookers for fear they’ll end up in a copy-car episode, but this time, IN REAL LIFE.
Here’s Crock-Pot’s response:
Crock-Pot understands the concerns brought up by last night’s episode of This Is Us, and we too are heartbroken by the latest development in Jack’s storyline. However, it is important that our consumers understand and have confidence that all Crock-Pot slow cookers exceed all internal testing protocols and all applicable industry safety standards and regulations as verified by independent third-party testing labs. For nearly 50 years, with over 100 million Crock-Pots sold, we have never received any consumer complaints similar to the fictional events portrayed in last night’s episode. In fact, the safety and design of our product renders this type of event nearly impossible.
“In addition, and most relevant to the concerns consumers are having after watching the recent This Is Us episode, our Crock-Pot slow cookers are low current, low wattage (typically no more than 200 or 300 watts) appliances with self-regulating, heating elements. The product is designed to cook foods over a longer period of time at low temperatures and the switches connect to only 1 side of the power line voltage, so there is never a high voltage applied directly across our switches. The switches within our slow cookers are subjected to additional internal testing, which includes a Rotary Knob Endurance test, Rotary Knob Force Test and Flame Burning Test and constructed of self-extinguishing, flame resistant material.
“Our hope is that the team at NBC’s This Is Us will help us spread factual information regarding our product’s safety. While we know their primary mission is to entertain — something they have continued to excel in — we also feel they have a responsibility to inform. Just like many fans, we will be watching next week’s episode to see how Jack’s story progresses and, regardless of the outcome, we want consumers first and foremost to know they are safe when using their Crock-Pot.”
I know the Crock-Pot is now Public Enemy #1, but doesn’t this look delish?
Tune in Sunday, Feb. 4 after the Superbowl to find out what happens on the next This Is Us. (I just hope the Kitchen-Aid stand mixer stays innocent!)