The chubby guy from Medford joined the Loren and Wally Show in 1999 and he was lucky they plucked him off the waiver wire!
Hank grew up in Medford and graduated from Medford High School and then went to Boston University. Raquel Welch’s son was a year ahead of him in the College of Communication at BU. Hank never met Raquel Welch, but he looked all over campus for her.
Hank and his wife Pam live in Medford with their two daughters, Abbey and Charlotte. Abbey is about to be a new Mom and Charlotte is in college. That means Hank is deejaying a lot of weddings and parties to help pay tuition. If you need a dj, he’s your man. You can email him at Hank.Morse@bbgi. He has resigned himself to the fact that he’ll be eating a lot of macaroni and cheese and ramen noodles! They’re cheap and you can get a great deal on them at Costco and BJ’s.
The Morse family has a dog, Hico, an 8-year-old old plot hound! Hico is named for Hermit Island Campground (Hermit Island Company). Hank started camping there in 1968 with his parents and brother and still camps there with his family! (Keith Lockhart and Wally Brine have both camped there, too!)
Recently, Hank has become an art collector. He finds most of it at Goodwill and has never paid more than $16.99 for anything hanging on the wall at his home. His collection includes a painting of the church he and Pam got married in, a naked lady, a print of Nantucket, and an oil painting of an apple on a kitchen table that was painted by a woman from Arlington. Hank can also be found honing his “collector” skills at Goodwill, the Salvation Army and assorted yard sales.
Hank says “I am a “collector”, not a hoarder”, when discussing his propensity to buy stuff.
Hank is an avid hockey and baseball fan and is preparing to play hockey again if he can find a pair of hockey pants that fit. Cut from the Medford High School hockey team, Hank still displays the lack of skill he had in the early 80’s. He was a bit better at baseball, playing for the Medford High School Mustangs and later for one season at Boston University. Hank was so bad at BU, he didn’t get invited back to the alumni game! He did win one game for the Terriers. The second baseman was Scott Young, who played 20 years in the NHL. The centerfielder was Dennis Gadbois, who played three years with the Patriots. Their professionalism did not rub off on Hank.
Things you don’t know about Hank:
- He was 90 percent deaf in his left ear as a kid. Had a one game JV soccer career at Medford High. Was stepped on by former Red Sox catcher Bob Montgomery at a golf tournament. Monty had spikes on and Hank was wearing sandals.
- Loves old stuff, especially fountain pens, typewriters, watches, hockey and baseball gear, Volkswagen buses.
- Took batting practice against actor Carl Weathers in a charity softball game at Fenway Park. Met 1980 presidential candidate Jerry Brown at Faneuil Hall the day Brown announced his candidacy.
- Owns former Montreal Canadians captain Guy Carbonneau’s game worn skates.
- Collects snow Christmas snow globes!
- Would love to be a pilot, but is too chicken to try. Related by marriage to actress Peggy Cass, star of “What’s My Line?”
Things you don’t want to know about Hank:
- Was afraid of fire engines and police cars as a young child.
- Used to dip his pizza in coca cola before eating.
- Is afraid of animals.
- Has had numerous bicycle accidents and has a big scar under his left arm pit.
- Doesn’t eat seafood, except for Swedish Fish.
- As a five year old, wanted to be a garbage man when he grew up.
- Has a hole in his head.
Things you never want to say to Hank if you see him somewhere
- Want a sandwich?
- How much do you weigh?
- I thought you said you lost weight!
Famous people Hank’s met:
- Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, John McCain, Jesse Jackson, David Lee Roth, Eddie Murphy.
“Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky were among the most humble people I’ve met. Eddie Murphy was too. I didn’t expect it from him, but he was a terrific guy and a gentleman. John McCain was a gem. He’s a controversial politician, but very down to earth and easy to talk to.”
Three people Hank wanted to meet, but never did:
- Johnny Carson, Frank Sinatra, Ted Williams.
Here are some of Hank’s favorite things in the world:
- Ice cream: oreo cookie
- Deodorant: Herban Cowboy
- Sneakers: Adidas
- Jeans: Sicily
- Hair gel: Dippity Do
- Vacation spot: Maine
- Athlete: Bobby Orr
- Hobby: camping
- Athletic events: Boston Marathon and Beanpot Hockey Tournament
- Game: rod hockey
- Steak House: Ruth’s Chris
- Ice Cream Place: CB Scoops
- Store: Goodwill
Email Hank at Hank.Morse@bbgi.com